Sunday, September 28, 2008

Building Simple Fences

After turning my hand at making some cheap card buildings from scratch for Old West gaming, I realized that I would need some fences to keep livestock in order. I looked around the house for materials (not wanting to spend money on terrain as usual). Here's what I used - long matches, large popsicle sticks (do the British call them lolly sticks?), and white glue.


The sticks are six inches long, so I cut four posts for each stick base (I did 8 all together), and spaced them evenly. If you try this, make sure that the end posts go right to the edge, otherwise there'll be gaps in your fence. Each post was put in place with a dollop of white glue. Try to line the posts up, more or less. They will seem flimsy at first. They'll be strong enough when the glue dries.


I then start cutting the match sticks to finish off. Simply hold the matchstick in place, mark with a pencil, and cut a shade larger than you need. Sand until the piece fits snug. If this is taking a long time, you're being too particular. Here's a finished length.


Here's a gate piece in progress.


When these are assembled, I'll sand the bases as usual, and will probably paint to match the stable I made. My mission of being the cheapest terrain-building geek continues successfully!

Thanks for reading,
JET

1 comment:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Long matches make good snake rail fencing as well... :o)