Monday, October 25, 2010

Workbench Update: Building Interiors Finished

After posting the interior tiles for my first rustic building last week, I did my best to crack on with it and am pleased to announce that I've finished the first batch of tiles. I now have both above and below ground tiles to correspond to the five rustic buildings that we use in so many of our Gothic Horror games. Use the key below to match each set of tiles with the corresponding building.


1. SIMPLE HUT

This simple dwelling consists of a door at one end, a hearth at the other, and a window on each side. Because it was so small I decided to make it a one-room cottage. The trapdoor reveals a ladder leading down to the cellar.

The cellar is a simple one-room affair as well that provides a sleeping area and a storage area.



2. TWO-ROOM COTTAGE


A slightly larger dwelling than the previous one. The owner has chosen to divide the above-ground space into two small rooms, one as a kitchen and the other as a bedroom. A simple wooden rail ensures that the occupant doesn't accidentally fall into the exposed staircase.


The staircase leads into a large one-room cellar that provides lots of storage space and, if necessary, extra sleeping space.



3. ONE-ROOM COTTAGE

With the same dimensions as the previous building, a one-room layout provides the inhabitants with a relatively large living space. As with the previous cottage, the entrance lies to the left of the fireplace (right where Ernst is standing)


A trip down the enclosed staircase leads to a modest bedroom. The door leads to a small storage area or root cellar.



4. RUSTIC CHURCH

The main door at the end of the building leads to the combined nave/sanctuary. As with many small village churches, it is a humble place of worship. There is a small porch and service entrance behind the chancel area.


The stair way leads down to the undercroft of the church while behind the half-wall a ladder leads up to...


...the tower. Although no Christian gentleman would dream of bringing a firearm into the house of God, with windows in three of its four walls, the tower makes an excellent position for a skilled rifleman.


The undercroft is divided into a small locked vestry (where the vestments and Eucharistic vessels are kept) and a small ad hoc living area for travelling members of the clergy.



5. LONGHOUSE

In many small villages, one building (other than the local church) stands out from its neighbours - the longhouse. Depending on the settlement, it may serve as a town hall, a meeting hall, a tavern, or an inn. In some cases, the basement houses the town's archives, important books, or holy relics. It isn't uncommon for the villagers' seeds and grain to be stored here as well, out of the reach of wild animals and dishonest townsfolk.


A winding stair leads down to the basement.


The reinforced door has multiple locks and stands between thieves and the town's most prized possessions. The keys are usually held by the town's elders.


In this example, I've laid out the largest room as a town archive, a prime objective for questing monster hunters.



What Next?

When I finished painting my Hungarian Monster Hunters a few weeks back, I wrote that I didn't plan on working on any more Gothic Horror projects for some time. As it turns out, I'm a liar. The truth of the matter is, Keir and I played a game when he was in town a few weekends back, and we ran into a situation we hadn't before - enemy models moving into the same building (in search of objectives) at the same time. It bugged me that we had no satisfactory means of resolving this type of occurrence and so, the tile idea was born.

Here's what's I'm thinking to "finish" this phase of the project:
  1. More Furniture
    The Heroquest furniture I repainted a while back is a good start, but I'm certainly going to have to expand my collection. For the dwellings, I want to build or buy some beds, more tables, and perhaps some crates/barrels of supplies for the cellars. I would like to build a long table for the Longhouse and the Church will definitely need an altar, some pews, and I was thinking a font (with special rules for attaining free holy water during scenarios).
  2. More Tiles
    I've already tiles for the three mausoleums, as well as some generic dungeon hallway and room tiles. This will allow us to lay out a variety of underground settings. In fact, I'm really looking forward to connecting some of the underground cellars to create a multi-layered table. I've also cut out tiles (four stories in fact) to represent the interior of the stone tower that is currently on the painting block.
Whether I buy or build the furniture remains to be seen. I may do both. Time will tell. If all goes according to plan, we'll be testing these interiors out this weekend. Until then...

Thanks for reading,
JET

4 comments:

Andrew said...

Looks excellent! Don't forget that www.megaminis.com has all sorts of furniture. After my vikings and after a couple WWII models I am getting back on my 28mm tavern. I plan on getting a Mega Mini stove, tables, etc., etc. I scratch-built a fireplace, door, and a bar, but I'm too impatient to build anything more myself.

JET (aka Jason) said...

Impatience is my issue as well. I've looked at mega-minis, as well as Ainsty. I'm still window shopping. Getting into buying and painting furniture really brings me back to my role-playing days. (Or rather, how I wished my role-playing was back in those days)

Andrew said...

Did I ever share my scratch-built beds? That post gets a lot of visitors that were Googling "dungeon furniture," but I don't think they are looking for little models.

JET (aka Jason) said...

I just checked out those beds. I may have to try your "recipe." I tried to make one a few days ago, but it was too large.